Majestically located on the shores of Lough Leane, the 15th century Ross Castle was built by O’Donoghue Mór. During the Second Desmond Rebellion in 1580 the castle changed ownership to the MacCarthy Mór; this was short lived as the castle and surrounding lands, all of which now make up Killarney National Park, were transferred to Sir Valentine Browne, Earls of Kenmare. Ross Castle was one of the last in Ireland to succumb to Cromwell forces.
The foundations of the castle were once surrounded by a fortified bawn with towers defending its curtain walls; two of the towers still remain today. Sometime after 1688 the castle was used as a barracks; the bawn was subsequently removed as additions were made to the south side of the castle prior to the 19th century.
Ross Castle experiences high volumes of visitors, particularly during the summer months. Containing 16th and 17th oak furniture as well as much of the original structure still in place today, the castle is an extremely enjoyable visit. The tour guides are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable in their portrayal of those of habituated the castle long ago.
By prior arrangement, access is available to the ground floor only for those with disabilities.
7th March – 22nd October: 9.30am – 5.45pm
Ross Castle, Killarney, Co. Kerry+353 64 6635851