The Franciscan Friary
The first Franciscans came to Killarney around the year 1448 and resided in Muckross. The suppression of the friary lead to most of the friars staying in the area to minister the people. The last friar in Killarney remained until 1849.
In 1858, Belgian friars descended to Ireland to help re-establish the English Franciscan Province and to restore the declining Irish Province to its former adherence of the Franciscan Rule. The friars reached Killarney in 1860 and the Killarney Franciscan Church was opened a short number of years later in 1867. Following these works, the friary was subsequently opened in 1879.
- 8.00am & 10.00am (Bank Holiday Mass -10.00 am)
- Community Mass: Monday 10.00am (prior to Morning Prayer)
- Saturday: 7.00pm
- Sunday: 8.30am, 10.00am, 11.30am
SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION:
- Tuesday to Saturday: 10.30am-12.30pm & 3.00pm-5.00pm
- Penitential Service: Thursday before the 1st Friday at 7.30pm
- Holy Hour: Sunday 7.00pm – 8.00pm
- (no penitential service or holy hour during June, July and August)
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament: every Friday from 2.00pm – 7.00pm
- St. Anthony’s Novena: every Tuesday 10.00am
- S.F.O Meeting: 1st Friday each month at 10.00am & 7:30pm