At the heart of Irish tourism, Fáilte Ireland’s investment strategy enhances tourism through capital project funding and strategic partnerships. This approach supports both the public and private sectors, by launching innovative projects that augment visitor experiences, create jobs, and safeguard our natural environment.
As a vital stakeholder in regional tourism projects, the Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce is instrumental in managing and planning festivals, obtaining capital grants, and fostering initiatives in collaboration with Fáilte Ireland.
Killarney Wild Atlantic Way Gateway Strategy
Launched in 2019, the Killarney Wild Atlantic Way Gateway Strategy aimed to enrich the tourist experience. It positioned Killarney as a chief exploration base for the wider Kerry visitor experience. A plethora of activities and experiences were curated to underscore the region’s timeless natural beauty and rich cultural tapestry.
The Killarney Destination and Experience Development Plan (KDEDP)
Building on the Wild Atlantic Way Gateway Strategy‘s success, Fáilte Ireland introduced the KDEDP in 2022. The KDEDP is a new five-year strategy to promote and maintain tourism in Killarney. As a key stakeholder, our Chamber will play a pivotal role in realising Killarney’s vision of becoming a world-class destination.
Our tourism primarily draws from our natural and built heritage, located adjacent to the National Park. The KDEDP aims to craft an awe-inspiring destination, recognized globally for its exquisite natural environment and its world-class tourism industry. The plan includes:
- Giving the Killarney brand a fresh look.
- Developing visitors’ experience of Killarney through urban attractions and public spaces.
- Adopting sustainable practices from the Killarney National Park Tourism Interpretation Masterplan Framework.
- Telling a compelling ‘Killarney story‘ with a broader range of engaging experiences.
- Extending the tourist season by taking full advantage of outdoor activities and attracting visitors all year round with an engaging events and festivals program.
- Boosting Killarney’s profile as a top-notch location for business tourism in the country.
- Attracting visitors all year round with exciting events and festivals.
This exciting initiative is set to boost local tourism and businesses by increasing visitors, spend, and overall economic activity. It will extend the tourist season and develop a tourist destination that is sustainable.
We invite you to journey with us on this transformative venture that will deliver a sustainable tourism destination and provide a world-class visitor experience. Join us today and become part of a strong and supportive business community in Killarney.